Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Bienvenue Charlotte!

There comes a time in all of our lives when we have to do something that we're scared of doing. And sometimes we really have no choice in the matter but to suck it up (bitch) and get through it.

My biggest fear in the last little while is meeting my boyfriend's parents. While I was always quite sure that they were nice people with great personalities and an amazing sense of humour (if my boyfriend is anything to gauge it by) but the fact that they do not speak much English and I barely speak any French (well, not entirely true - I understand FAR more than I let on and I'm far too shy about speaking it to actually kick it in to gear unless I absolutely HAVE to) was a bit of a worry.

The reason for this whole worry is that his mother is visiting us. This week. Staying with us in our tiny little studio condo. I can't expect my boyfriend to translate the whole time, so I've had to pay very close attention to how we will communicate - trying to understand her accent being another difficulty to overcome.

Frankly, I needn't have worried. She is absolutely lovely and completely accepting of us and our somewhat quickly proceeding relationship (we moved in together after only about two months of dating and have been cohabiting for the past two months). She even bought me a little gift yesterday - a set of silicone potholders! They're VERY cool and exactly the kind of thing that we needed in our kitchen.

Anyway, I know that this post isn't really food related, more entertaining related, but I do have a food related point to make. After all the cleaning, worrying and fretting about how we would get on - the one common bond we share is cooking and entertaining our friends and family. I'll share more of our dining adventures over the next few days, stay tuned.

Bievenue chez nous, Charlotte! Bienvenue!

2 Comments:

At 1:46 p.m., Blogger xtinehlee said...

food is a wonderful sociocultural coagulant! it brings people together.

 
At 3:54 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

It really is a great social thing, int'it? Actually, it was the one real thing that Charlotte and I could bond over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home