Monday, June 26, 2006

Cook's Illustrated Recipe Test: Pound Cake

Several months ago, after perusing the Cook's Illustrated website for some information on pans, I'd noticed that they had a link for recipe testers. Being culinarily curious, I signed up and promptly forgot about it. Until they sent me my first recipe on Friday to test. I've had a bit of a busy weekend up till this afternoon and the timing worked out perfectly to make a nice little cake during a well-deserved and welcome lull in the day.

After pulling together the ingredients (nothing difficult), sliding out the KitchenAid and a bit of mixing, folding and smoothing; the cake was in the oven and the apartment filled with the amazing scents that only butter, sugar and vanilla can properly combine to create.

About an hour and a bit later, I removed the cake from the oven, let it cool whilst I went to have dinner and came home to have a nice little dessert. Wow, talk about a nice crumb, rich and moist. Dense but light enough to be a bit spongy - perfect for absorbing my favourite topping - sour cherries with Port (I'll be making those again this year when the sour cherries come into season!).

Look for the recipe in an upcoming issue of Cook's Illustrated - I'm sure it'll be a big hit! Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

At 1:30 p.m., Blogger xtinehlee said...

that ROCKS! you are so "official!" :)

 
At 2:06 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Thanks Christine!! I love the fact that it came out pretty well - with a few little hiccups. Its REALLY good toasted with a little cream on top, according to Sebas, BTW. :-)

P.S. I might be coming to the Bay Area for my birthday in September - if we get out there, would you like to get together for dinner or lunch or something?

 
At 5:28 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds great. I love the idea of the sour cherries with port. I've made a pound cake from one of the Barefoot Contessa books that gets infused with a lemon syrup and then gets drizzled with a lemony glaze. It's lemony sweet and it actually freezes really well.

 
At 9:36 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Hey Grant! Thanks for visiting my site ~ I'm a big fan of WellFed! I was actually really tempted to use a lemon/lime glaze on this cake but thought better of it at the last moment when I realized that I'd better freeze half the cake before we ate the entire thing.

The recipe for sour cherries with Port actually comes from a canning and preserving book I bought years and years ago and just recently found in my parent's basement. When I get round to making it in August, I'll be sure to share the recipe.

Thanks again for stopping by!!!

E

 
At 5:45 p.m., Blogger xtinehlee said...

OMG if you are out here in September, let's definitely try to get together for a meal! :)

 
At 10:47 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

I think it would absolutely be required! We've got a reservation at the Intercontinental right now, hopefully we'll get the flights there as well. I'm going to have to have an El Balazo burrito whilst I'm there as well!

 
At 7:42 p.m., Blogger xtinehlee said...

Oh honey, there are MUCh better burritos than at El Balazo (which is decent, but not stupendous) in the Bay Area!

Like tacos on International Blvd/Fruitvale in Oakland! Mrmmm. Or even burritos in the Mission in SF.

You're at the Mark Hopkins! Woot! Ihear the restaurant there (Nob Hill) is good. And dancing at the Top of the Mark is always fun!

 
At 10:56 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

It will be amazing being there after not being in SF for ages. I'll have to get the specifics on where to get the best burritos before we go...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home