Tuesday, June 27, 2006

You know you have a problem when...


I think I have a food problem. Or at least a food addiction. It rears its head (I won't say ugly 'cause food only comes ugly in a few ways - monkfish, lobsters, crabs, celery root and broccoli) every now and again despite my best efforts to control it. Today it actually rose up twice.

First, it came overnight. I woke up in a cold sweat after just having had a dream where I was having dinner across the table from Mario Batali - a dinner that I'd cooked. A dinner of pasta that I'd made and he'd just shown up to see if it was up to scratch. I don't remember what he said, or did, but I remember thinking that I really liked his orange Crocs (I have a black pair - I rarely wear colour, you see...) and that it matched his hair. All the while, he was teaching me how to make proper bolognese sauce (he hated that I'd made Biba Caggiano's version instead of his, although they're basically quite the same, differing primarily in execution) and tossing around pieces of rabbit in some kind of caper and rosemary white wine sauce. Anyway, I woke up a bit discombobulated but nonetheworse for wear. That's the last time I read Food & Wine magazine before bed!

Second, I have become completely addicted to Quesada. I have to have it nearly every week - and sometimes I crave it so badly that I'd chew off my own right arm and have them grill it for me ~ burrito con Eric! (sorry, I just made that up, I know nothing about speaking Spanish...). I think it all started when I first had a Carne Asada Super Burrito at El Balazo when visiting a friend many years ago in San Ramon. Nothing has ever since come close to that complex and hauntingly delicious experience - that combination of meat, cheese, salsas to create the perfect umami experience. Until a few weeks ago when my boyfriend took me to Quesada and gustatory heaven.

I went back there tonight, in fact, after just missing the opportunity to have it last night when I went to meet the boyfriend for dinner (had the Tuscan Chicken Quizno's instead... Sensing a "Food Places Starting with the Letter Q" phase here...). When I knew that I was going to be on my own for dinner tonight I began to involuntarily salivate ~ I knew I was going to get my small grilled steak burrito fix. And fix it, I did. With cilantro-lime rice, slow cooked pinto beans, grilled sliced steak, chipotle tomato salsa, cilantro, jack cheese, chopped jalapeno, red onion, sour cream and guacamole all rolled into a very soft, very fresh tortilla; my day was now complete. I wouldn't normally call the act of loving a particular food and wanting to eat it once in a while a problem but its getting to the point where after polishing off my combo, I seriously contemplated getting another one to store for later. How bad could it be if I just kept one in the freezer for Quesada emergencies?

3 Comments:

At 4:31 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird! On Friday, I mentioned to my girlfriend that we should go there sometime, as it looked like a good restaurant.

Glad to know my food radar is still at least somewhat calibrated.

 
At 11:03 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Trust me, its totally good! They also have the taco specials there - 3 for $6.50 which is really good too...

 
At 10:57 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

P.S. I had them again tonight... So yummy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home