Friday, July 21, 2006

RCE Book Club Updates!

Well, we're nearly there and we're not even quite at August yet! There's not much time left to make your picks! (Of course, if someone would like to make something that has already been selected, we're not going to complain...)
Here's where we stand right now (names in bold have not yet been claimed!)

* Aushak (Christine)
* Roasted brussel sprouts (kt)
* Last-minute chocolate cake (kt)
* Nicky's vanilla cake (Nikol)
* Roast chicken with potatoes, onions, and garlic (Arilyne)
* Gougeres (Christine)
* Hash browns (Melanie)
* Roast leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary (Nikol)
* Matzo brei
* Moules marinieres (Connie)
* New York cheesecake (Susan)
* Sort-of Thai noodles (Eric)
* Scalloped potatoes (Arilyne)
* Roasted rhubarb (Eric)
* Risotto Primavera (Lucas)
* Spaghetti Carbonara (Susan)
* Pureed watercress

Since we're so far ahead of the game here, I'm going to suggest that we start picking our next book - both to give us enough time to buy it and read it, but also so that we can all chime in on our preferences. I'm going to suggest the following, please pick one and either email me or comment and let me know why you chose that one:

Heat - Bill Buford
My Life in France - Julia Child
The Nasty Bits - Anthony Bourdain
Sunday Suppers at Lucques - Suzanne Goin (Winner of the 2006 James Beard Foundation Cookbook Award for Cooking from a Professional Point of View)
The Perfectionist: Life and Death in Haute Cuisine - Rudolph Chelminski
The Cook's Book - Jill Norman

Looking forward to our next adventures already!

8 Comments:

At 12:59 p.m., Blogger xtinehlee said...

Um. Nasty bits, because well, that's what I intend to read next. :)
heh

 
At 1:09 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Dude! I was hoping for Heat actually. But then again, I REALLY want Sunday Suppers at Lucques for my birthday - so I'm calling that one for October.
Anyone else?

 
At 1:41 p.m., Blogger Susan said...

I vote for Heat!

 
At 2:34 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

A classmate of mine suggested "The Nasty Bits", but she gets under my culinary skin each time she pronounces garde mange as it is spelled, like the mange of a dog, and I want it to be known that my vote has nothing to do with her. I just like the title.

 
At 2:43 p.m., Blogger connie said...

Hmmm, I was actually looking at Heat last night at the bookstore, but My Life in France is on my list of books to read. And as it so happens, I just ordered Lucques from Amazon, so.... (sorry, I know this isn't much help!)

 
At 9:18 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Wow, so many choices! I'm going to leave the comments on this open until next Friday and then decide on what the final book selection for September will be. I think October will also be decided if the enthusiasm you've all demonstrated keeps up! ;-)

 
At 3:37 p.m., Blogger kT said...

'k I'm way late on this, but IF I can find the cookbook, I will take on the chocolate cake for sure. The book is checked out at the library and I can't afford it right now, but it does sound good.

I'm intrigued by the brussel sprouts, too. I've only had them and liked them once, but they may have been roasted.

 
At 11:15 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Hi KT!
The book is our August selection so feel free to take your time on it. The both are pretty simple recipes - write them down if you like whilst in the bookstore (and just read the book sometime in August if you can!) I'll put you down for the two - and if you make them, great! Just write me about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home