Thursday, July 06, 2006

Meta-Food Blogging

Its an interesting phenomenon when one food blogger can inspire another to create a dish discovered on yet another website. I call it Meta-Food-Blogging.

The boyfriend and I were doing some shopping one evening at the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto when I saw a few kumquats (for only $9.99 a pound) and simply had to buy some. I rememebered reading in Grant's blog that he'd recently been given his first kumquat and my curiousity was piqued. He'd used it them in this kumquat relish recipe from Epicurious and I just knew I had to try it (seeing as I have yet to receive an invitation to dine at Chez Grant ;-) for myself.

Found the recipe, cooked up the relish, grilled the port loin chops and zucchini, made some cilantro lime rice and plated it up. What I didn't know or realize at the time was how much the boyfriend hates pork. HATES it. To the point where I was not only peeved with him for not being more direct in his previously tellling me, "I don't really like pork" - but annoyed with myself that I didn't make a backup chicken breast or something else to serve this delicious relish with. Its a great combination of sweet, sour, bitter, salty, piquant and savoury - my only modification being that instead of using dried apricots I used fresh.

I still have a bit left in the fridge and while I won't make pork to serve it with, I'll find something. Perhaps a fish taco? Oh wait, the boyfriend doesn't eat fish either...

4 Comments:

At 5:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and the boyfriend are free to come over for dinner any time you want. I'll even make chicken, since the BF doesn't like pork.

How were the fresh apricots? I thought it was interesting that the recipe calls for fresh kumquats but dried apricots. I wonder why that would be.

 
At 5:37 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Thanks for the invite, Grant! I'll extend the same right back at you! :-) Mmmm.... chicken.... Can't wait! :-) You never know, we could end up in L.A. at any time, given the boyfriend works for an airline.

The fresh apricots were great! They added a great bit of texture and a freshness that I don't think would be readily apparent with dried. Having said that I think that the reason for the dried apricots was probably to increase the jammy quality of the marmalade. As they would absorb more water I imagine that they would make it more of a semi-set consistency. Also, apricots tend to become more tart as they cook so I compensated with a bit more sugar - presumably, dried apricots wouldn't necessarily have this problem.

 
At 7:52 p.m., Blogger xtinehlee said...

dude--pork icky. fish--well, some fish are just NASTY.

beef all the way!
go sebastian! :)

 
At 1:27 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

MMmmmm... pork is good.... And has recently surpassed chicken as being even lower in fat. I agree some fish are nasty, but some are just sublime!

I'll pass on your cheers to Sebas!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home