Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The ReadCookEat Cookbook Book Club and Testing Academy

Okay, I've been giving this a bit of a think and I'd really like to test this out with my readers of this and my other food blogs - I'm starting The ReadCookEat Cookbook Book Club and Testing Academy. The premise is this - we select one cookbook a month, each choose a different (or the same, doesnt' really matter) recipe to make from it, photograph the results, discuss whether or not we thought it was worth the time/effort/expense and then share our results.

I'm not going to limit this to cookbooks but if there is any special equipment that helps prepare the dishes in question that can be part of our discussion. I'm hoping that over time we'll come up with a compendium of reviewed books so that readers will know what's worth buying, what's not worth the hype and what to completely avoid at all costs. I'd be completely open to suggestions for the month of August to start so either comment away or email me with what you think!

5 Comments:

At 2:59 p.m., Blogger kT said...

OOooo!

I'm a new reader, but that sounds fantastic. Would love to join, if you're doing this 'net style, not in person.

And, if I get to be part of the club? I may have to finally make a recipe from my '70s world of Jell-O cookbook just to photograph it.

 
At 3:10 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Hi kT!
Welcome to the site! We will be doing this internet style, for sure. I think though that we will be all cooking from the same cookbook - for instance, Giada's Everyday Italian or Molto Mario or some new cookbook (or something that would be typically easily found across Canada and the US).

There's no real application process, just a willingness to get the book, cook something out of it (letting us know beforehand what you'd like to cook) and then talking about it.

Hope you have fun!

 
At 10:17 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, too?

 
At 10:38 a.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Sure thing Nikol!!

 
At 3:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This isn't really related to your post, but I thought you might find it interesting anyway.

I was mulling over a way to store not only my recipes, but all my food-related info (techniques, tips, ingredient info). I've been playing around with The Living Cookbook, and it's not bad, but just not flexible enough for me.

Then it dawned on me: A wiki! I'm working on setting up one. Since it'll have copyrighted materials in it from my cookbook collection, I'll have to keep mine private, but I plan to write an article on how I set it up. I'll keep you posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home