Wednesday, July 19, 2006

NY Times - Food Section Roundup

I LOVE the New York Times Style Section - particularly the Dining and Wine section. They have great sections on food, dining out, entertaining, wines, design and decorating. I subscribe to the RSS feeds but for those who don't I've found three articles today that are particularly interesting (membership may be required to read these posts depending on time accessed).

Korea’s Taste of Summer Is a Long, Cool Slurp
This is a really interesting look at the cool noodles from Korea. Christine, I'm sure, would have far more to say on this topic, but I would LOVE to have some of these tonight to help break this heat.

Too Sweet to Be Invited to Dinner
Eric Asimov, the Times Wine scribe, relates why he no longer tries to pair Pinot Noir from California with food. Personally, I LOVE Pinot Noir but agree with his assessment that American made PN's are becoming too sweet. I'll stick to French PN's - even Canadian versions are becoming too sweet for my taste. If I want sweet I'll drink a Reisling.

Ringmaster’s Back, Stroking the Lions
A not very flattering review of the "new" Le Cirque. I grew up reading about Le Cirque in Gourmet Magazine, seeing it mentioned on television programs - basically being held up as THE uber NYC dining experience. Sadly, it appears that it only holds true if you have some kind of pedigree or patina that can readily be determined by the front of house. Don't have what it takes? Expect poor (actually, it sounds like downright rude) service, mediocre food and no value for the overpriced menu. I don't mind paying a fortune for a memorable meal but darn it, I want a smile with my dinner - they're even free at McDonald's for heaven's sake.

2 Comments:

At 3:38 p.m., Blogger xtinehlee said...

Yes, Korean naeng myun is SO very refreshing on a hot day! Ice cold vinegary noodles! (and there is Korean bibim naeng myun, too--basically bibim bop except with cold noodles instead of rice).

Another thing that Koreans eat on the hottest days of the year is "sahm gyae tahng," a Korean chicken and ginseng soup. It follows the philosophy of "hot fights hot."

 
At 3:55 p.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

I'm wondering if my favourite little Korean place will have that on the menu... I'm sure they would, its very Korean in that all their waitstaff, cooks and the owners (I believe) are all from Korea.

I love the "hot fights hot" concept - its an excuse for me to eat all kinds of things like jerk chicken, firey Pad Thai and chipotle barbeque sauce on everything!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home