Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Okonomiyaki!!

Since Sebas had brought me back a few things from Japan (including okonomiyaki sauce and kewpie mayonnaise amonst other things), I'd been dying to make okonomiyaki at home. I'd only ever had it out and never tried it for myself. Well, tonight that was all going to change. I stopped at the market and picked up a few necessary items and got straight down to it. I found this recipe on about.com (mainly cause it was simple) and just went for it. Tasty, fast, easy and oh so filling (not to mention that it would be REALLY cheap if it weren't for the pricey toppings). I know it says you can use all kinds of toppings but really I just mixed in some little dried shrimp with the cabbage/egg mixture, topped with some katsuoboshi and scallions along with some okonomiyaki sauce and mayo and dug on in!

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup soup stock (dashi)
1 egg
1/4 of a small cabbage (I used about half of a split napa cabbage)

For Toppings:
Thinly sliced pork or beef
Squid
Katsuo-bushi (dried bonito flakes)
Sakura-ebi (dried shrimps)
Beni-shoga (red ginger)
Ao-nori (green seaweed)
Okonomiyaki sauce (or tonkatsu sauce)
Mayonnaise

PREPARATION: Shred the cabbage into very thin slices. Beat an egg in a bowl and add dashi soup stock or water in it. Add flour in the bowl and mix well. Combine sliced cabbage in the flour mixture. Fry meat/squid/shrimps (your choice of toppings) in an electric cooking pan or a frying pan. Pour the flour mixture over the toppings in the pan. (Make a couple pancakes.) Cook a few minutes and flip pancakes and cook for a few more minutes. Put okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise on top of the pan cakes. Sprinkle katsuobushi flakes, aonori, beni-shoga on top. Makes 2 servings

5 Comments:

At 12:47 a.m., Blogger xtinehlee said...

i am SO making this. after i make the other 3 things i vow to make, of course. my list keeps getting longer! :)

 
At 9:28 a.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

I can't wait to see your version of it! I think I may make it again for dinner tonight. Its good with lots of protein and yummy salty goodness!

 
At 9:29 p.m., Blogger Tea said...

Ha, you've just recreated a dish my mother tried to make for me and my brother when we were kids. I don't think she really had a recipe, and we didn't know what okonomiyaki was at the time, but to this day she gets teased about the awful "tuna and cabbage pancakes" she tried to feed us.

I am sure yours were much better.

As an adult I am a big fan of okonomiyaki. Haven't had it since I lived in Japan though. Might be time to try a batch.

 
At 2:51 a.m., Blogger virtuallyeric said...

Hi Tea! I say go for it! And add what YOU like to them! I love dried shrimp so I tend to add that - and katsuoboshi! LOTS of katsuoboshi! :-)

My mum tried to feed my brother and I "chicken with oranges" in the 70's. She and my Dad still tease us about the fact that it really WAS chicken... Livers that is! Imagine! An entire dish of chicken livers sauteed with mandarin oranges. Perhaps at a fine dining establishment as part of a tasting menu? Perhaps. Certainly NOT made by my parents! LOL

I guess we all have those kinds of memories, huh? ;-)

 
At 6:42 p.m., Blogger Tea said...

Chicken livers with orange? Yeah, I'd say that would not be the best dish for kids. But hey, at least our parents were adventurous, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home